C is amongst the oldest programming languages. Every advanced programming language that you use today had some of its roots in the c programming language. C remains one of the top “most-used” programming languages in many “popular programming languages” surveys.
- C language is often called as a middle level language because it includes features of both low level or machine languages and high-level programmer friendly languages
- C language is not specific to any microprocessor/micro-controller or any system. It can work on various hardware configuration.
- When you talk about games, C language has been used for creating a variety of graphics and gaming applications like archery, bouncing ball, chess etc.
- C is more flexible, structured language that provides “low level bit wise data manipulation” using the bit-wise operators
- It provides direct memory control without sacrificing benefits of high-level languages. We can directly access memory using pointers and perform various operations using them
- The language has become available on a very wide range of platforms, from embedded microcontrollers to supercomputers.
- C is one of the standard languages, under MS-DOS and then Windows. And most Internet of Things (IoT) devices will use C.
- There are hundred thousand of programming languages, but C language is considered to be most popular and successful programming language simultaneously proves to be evolution of all modern day programming languages.
C is the preferred language for building a strong programming foundation
Programming has many concepts that you need to be clear about like classes, objects, polymorphism, and inheritance among others. Other advanced languages build upon these concepts. C is the language where you can find the basis for these concepts. Hence, it is the best language for those who are new to programming.
It is simple to understand
C programming language uses blocks to separate pieces of code performing different tasks. This helps make programming easier and keeps the code clean. Thus, the code is easy to understand even for those who are starting out.
It is used in embedded programming
C is used in embedded programming, which is used to control micro-controllers. These micro-controllers are used in robotics, computers, and automation. Learning C can help you here as well.
It forms the basis for C++ and Java
Java and C++ are amongst the most widely used programming languages today. They derive their syntax, and concepts from the C programming language. Being acquainted with the C programming basics will thus make learning C++ and Java easier.
It is fast
The programs that you write in C compile and execute much faster than those written in other languages. This is because it does not have garbage collection and other such additional processing overheads. Hence, the language is faster as compared to most other programming languages. This is one of the reasons why C is used even today for programming.
It is used to build PC games
C finds use in many PC games. It has been used to code various small games and some tasks in bigger games as well. Thus, learning C can be beneficial if you are aspiring to make a career in game development.